Petrichor: Dust after Rain
Derived from the Greek word petros (stone) and ichor (the fluid that flows through the veins of the gods), petrichor is the name for the dewy, musky smell that accompanies the first rain after a dry spell. It’s partly emitted by rocks, clays and soils, which absorb oils given off by vegetation during the warm dry periods. When rain disrupts them, the oily scent is released. It’s as complex as a perfume, made of up at least fifty distinct chemical compounds, but it’s not the only contributor to petrichor—geosmin (pictured) is also responsible. It’s an organic compound that literally translates to “earth smell”, produced by cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) and actinobacteria (bacteria spores), and found both on soil and rocks. The human nose is incredibly sensitive to geosmin—we can detect concentrations as low as 5 parts per trillion. Now, I’d love to see a petrichor line of perfume.
Most amazing thing ever.
In 1992, Jeremiah McDonald, 12 recorded himself on tape talking to his future self.
In 2012, Jeremiah McDonald, exported said tape and edited it with his answers.
There is no words to describe how awesome this is, considering that it was done on VHS tape, and look at how SMART he was as a kid, with all the right beats for a conversation. WOW.
The whole thing is hilarious, but the end killed me.
Let’s play a game. Inspired by the fantastic realjunkstory, here’s a list of Tony/Steve stories and moments. Your mission is to determine whether they come from canon comic book stories or from fanfiction.
- Tony and Steve discuss Steve’s favorite type of bagel on the deck of the helicarrier.
- Steve gets in a motorcycle accident and Tony helps him through it.
- Tony’s armor falls in love with him and becomes possessive, forbidding him from seeing any of his friends.
- Tony dies and lives on in a computer as Steve’s only companion.
- Tony is paralyzed when an angry ex-girlfriend shoots him.
- Steve and Bucky go cross-dressing.
- Tony stops his heart to save Steve’s life.
- Tony is a werewolf.
- Steve is a werewolf.
- Steve takes a truth serum and sleeps with Tony.
- Tony sleeps with Doctor Doom.
- Steve, on horseback, rescues a naked Tony.
- Tony declares that Steve is his rudder.
- Tony dresses as Captain America for a Halloween party.
- AU: Tony and Steve are high school students.
- AU: Tony is a woman and married to Steve.
- AU: Steve is a vampire and turns the Avengers into vampires.
- Tony tries to impress Steve with a signed baseball.
- Tony teaches Steve to dance.
- Steve takes up knitting.
- Tony decorates his home with pictures of Steve.
- Steve rescues a drunk Tony from a burning building.
- Tony and Steve wrestle and talk about their feelings.
- AU: Tony and Steve are college roommates.
- AU: Wizard of Oz. Steve is the Cowardly Lion and Tony is the Tin Man.
Answers under the cut.
This is AMAZING. And also a good reminder that the canon is on CRACK ALREADY so FIC AND ART AWAY, people :D
Today is “Future Day,” the day set by Doc in the DeLorean in the movie Back to the Future.
I CAN’T BELIEVE NO ONE ELSE HAS MENTIONED THIS.
Wow, already ?! 2012 seemed awfully far away when I first saw this movie 10 years ago.
But “the future” is severly lacking in flying cars.
The Lewis brothers AND Nathan Fillion
I’m not sure what is going on but I like it
Sherlock Holmes: I didn’t know, I saw. Your haircut, the way you hold yourself, says military. But your conversation as you entered the room — said trained at Bart’s, so army doctor.
A trailer for Thor if it had been told from Loki’s point of view.
Warning: May cause intense feels.
This is amazing. Excellent editing!